It’s that time of year! We are all thinking about getting outside and enjoying the warm weather. We all look forward to grilling our favorite burgers and steaks outside. So what about grills and apartment living? Always put safety first whenever you are going to cook outside. Here are some safety tips for grilling at your apartment.
Grilling Safety Tips
First, no grills, cookers or fryers are allowed on any decks, balconies or patios at any of Red Oak Apartment Home’s Properties. You may grill as long as you are at least 15 feet away from your building, except at properties like Sunset Ridge, Redstone Apartments, Milford Trails, Eastern Trails and The Ridge Apartments that have designated grilling areas.
Important Safety Tips to Remember:
- Place your grill at least 15 feet from any building.
- Grill only on a flat surface that can’t catch fire.
- Never use gasoline, alcohol or kerosene to start your fire.
- Don’t add lighter fluid once your coals are on fire.
- Make sure all hose connections are tight and in good condition.
- Once you have finished grilling:
- Soak the coals with water.
- Close the grill lid and any vents on the grill tightly.
- Clean up the area where you were cooking. Pick up papers, left over food and trash.
If you do not live in a Red Oak Apartment check with your property management company for their rules and regulations concerning grilling.
Safety should always be upper most in your mind when cooking food outside.
Our Favorite Grilling Recipe – 5 Minute Grilled Chicken:
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 2 lemons
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 to 7 ounces each). Cut each into cutlets.
Set up charcoal in your grill. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, set half the burners on a gas grill to the highest heat setting, cover, and preheat for 10 minutes. Oil your grilling grate.
Whisk together garlic, rosemary, lemon juice, and olive oil in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer half of mixture to a separate container and set aside. Add chicken to the large bowl and turn pieces to thoroughly coat.
Place chicken directly over the hot side of the grill, cover, and cook, rotating the pieces occasionally (but not flipping them), until the chicken is almost completely cooked through and only a few pink spots remain on the top side, about 4 minutes. Flip chicken and cook on second side until just done, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a serving platter. Re-whisk reserved marinade and pour it over the chicken. Serve immediately.
Enjoy the summer and happy grilling!
Need an Apartment in Southern New Hampshire?
Red Oak Apartment Homes has a variety of apartment locations, styles and layouts. Contact us– we can help you find your perfect match.